Tuesday, January 10, 2006

b...b...butter




In A.J.’s phonics lesson today, his assignment was to make homemade butter since he is learning about the letter B. It just so happens that in history, we are reading “Little House in the Big Woods” by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Yesterday, we read how Ma, Laura and Mary made butter! Isn’t it neat how both those subjects lined up? So, we couldn’t resist trying out the recipe for homemade butter today. We took 2-4oz. jelly jars and poured in some heavy cream. A.J. and Callie shook their jars as I read the next chapter out of “Little House in the Big Woods”. They had to shake them a bit more after the reading too. About 20 minutes later, there was butter forming in the jars! They were so excited. They poured the buttermilk into a glass and drank it (just like Mary and Laura did in the story), and then used the butter on toast and noodles for lunch. Needless to say, it was a fun lesson for them.

2 comments:

Spanier Academy said...

Mel...I love the picture...and the messy kitchen! =))) Is that the desk I see in the back with "stuff" on it! =))) I love to see that other houses look like mine!

Cool about the butter...and what sweet faces in that picture!

Blessings,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Hello Mommy!
you know it's starting to look like you only have two kids! what has happened to Austin and me? haha just giving you a hard time. :-) love ya

Kat