I couldn't help but think of my Aunt Titter (aka Aunt Hazel) last weekend as we visited the Mission House Candlelight Museum program in Honolulu. Aunt Titter is my mom's sister and she passed away a few years ago. She LOVED Hawaii! It was on a trip to visit her and my mom (halfway between the mainland and Japan back in 1990) when I first saw the islands. She made sure we had a fabulous time as we took in all that paradise had to offer. She relished in the details: We had to sit in the rocking chairs on the front porch of the Sheraton Moana Surfrider; we stayed in as many hotels as we could (my aunt was a travel agent!), we took dinner cruises, went to Luaus, and shopped our feet off.
So last weekend, as I sat listening to the carolers at the Mission Houses Museum, taking in the twinkling Christmas lights and real candle lanterns lighting the paths, eating fresh baked gingerbread and homemade hot apple cider--all of this after strolling through the historic grounds with some wonderful friends and family...my dear Aunt was on my heart
and I so wished she could have been there to experience it with us. I know she would have wanted to linger a long time, but would have been cheerfully willing to be dragged across the street by the children for the Christmas Trees and Wreaths a the Honolulu City Lights. Our family and group of friends did just as she would have done: we took our time inspecting every decorated tree and wreath and all picked our favorites. I think Aunt Titter would have picked the one that I picked, which was a palm tree fashioned and decorated with colorful origami and lights!
Aunt Titter wouldn't have minded the rain that fell intermitedly (she would have reminded us that we were in Hawaii after all.) She would have been all for the trip through Jack in the Box afterward to pick up $1 sandwiches for supper (she was always mindful of keeping the costs down!) and she would have probably fallen asleep on the way home just like A.J. did. We really did have a nice time together on that bright Hawaiian Christmas night. I'm also very grateful for the wonderful memories I have of my aunt. I miss you Aunt Titter!


No comments:
Post a Comment